Like most of you, we’ve been trying to eat better in our house. You know, cut the bad fat, cut the sugar, cut the carbs and eat more superfoods (although it’s hard to keep up with superfoods, there seems to be a new one every day).
In our travels for better food, we came across cauliflower. Now I’m not sure if cauliflower is a superfood, but hot-damn, if it isn’t I’m nominating it right. This is such a versatile vegetable.
Do you remember when you were a kid and your mother tried to feed you stinky over-boiled cauliflower? You gagged, you threw a tantrum, you left it to the last and your mother STILL made you eat it!
Well, I’m here to tell you – they’ve changed cauliflower! Yes they did! It’s the God’s honest truth! It is DELICIOUS!!!
We’ve tried several different methods for preparing this NEW cauliflower but by far our favourite is Fried Rice. This very simple recipe results in what looks and tastes EXACTLY like Fried Rice – but there isn’t a grain of rice in it!
- 1 medium head of fresh cauliflower
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- cooking oil as required (2 tbsp min)
- 1/8 cup soy sauce ( I modify the amount based on the amount of cauliflower)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 egg
- 3 green onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup each frozen peas & corn (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped cooked chicken (optional)
- dash of pepper (optional
- Rinse and chop up the cauliflower into manageable pieces. Using a grater or similar appliance (I use my Salad Shooter) grate the cauliflower. I use most of the head of cauliflower as even the stems grate small enough to resemble rice.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick wok or skillet on medium to medium-high.
- Add the garlic and grated cauliflower.
- Stir fry until the cauliflower is almost tender – about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the sesame oil and soy sauce – as mentioned I play with the amount of soy sauce I add based on the size of the cauliflower. Too much and your “rice” is far too salty and too dark. Add a little at a time til you achieve the best look and taste.
- In a microwave safe dish beat the egg and cook in the microwave (1 minute on high, but depends on the strength of the microwave), chop into small pieces and add to the “rice”
- Add frozen veggies and chicken (if using)
- Toss and cover until veggies are cooked.
- Serve and top with chopped green onion.
- BE AMAZED!
We have paired this with chicken, pork and fish for a yummy low-carb side dish.